Thursday, December 18, 2008

Santa's little helper

Well, I really wanted to send out Christmas cards this year. I always want to, but then I procrastinate, then it's too late. This year I was going to send the ones that I bought last year but never sent. I had pictures made of Finley that I was going to include in the card. I spent a long time picking the perfect one, cropping and such. I ordered them on photobucket and picked them up at Target. Then I thought, hmmm, I wonder where those cards are? I've searched high and low- no Christmas cards. I know they are here somewhere, I mean I'm pretty sure. Why would I get rid of perfectly good Christmas cards? Well, time's a wastin' so I decided to go ahead and buy new ones. Well, due to my recent decision to ban Chinese products I have found there are very few Christmas cards not made in China. The ones that I've found that aren't are handmade and way out of my budget. I guess that's the catch 22 situation with this whole China thing. Things that are made by people who receive fair pay are more expensive. So I have 50 pictures all the same and nothing to do with them. Great!

These are pictures that I took of Finley, posing him for a hopeful Christmas card. I didn't use one of these but I still think they're cute.


He has been such a trooper these past few days as I've been shopping, just smiling and blabbing up a storm, which is surprising considering his first tooth is popping through! You can just see it and feel a little sharp poke. It's so cute!

1 comment:

  1. hello! cute lil Santa helper. how old is he now?
    actually it's not as low paid as you thought in china. why products from china are cheaper, because the living cost in china is cheaper than US or European countries. for example, you can use 3 yuan (US$0.44) to buy a meal rice, complete with meat and vegetable. not more than US$0.7 to buy a plate of beef-fried rice or beef-fried noodle. hence, the wage in china of course is lower than european or american countries.
    for housing cost, for buying an apartment, you can buy with the price about US$450 per sqm. for renting an apartment, you need only about US$100/month, already complete with furniture, AC, gas stove, refrigerator, TV, etc. compare to in US, where i heard at least you need to pay US$750/month for renting an apartment.
    i apologize, i'm an indonesian, living in china, only try to describe that china is not that bad. yes.. in some area.. there are many bad china products (as you heard about chinese formula milk for baby, barbie toy, etc.).
    but the china government also pays a lot of attention on workers insurance. in most companies, all workers (including the factory workers), all have 5 type insurance (health, pension fund, unemployment insurance, injury during work insurance, and the other one i forgot). even as a foreigner, i also enjoy this 5-type-insurance.
    hope you dont mind i put comment here.
    merry christmas and happy new year.
    btw, i have almost the same situation as yours, bought christmas cards, but always find out it's too late to send out to friends/relatives in indonesia.

    ReplyDelete