Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Made in China

In recent days, I have spent more time shopping than I have in the whole last year put together. Let me tell you, I am having a blast as there's nothing like a giant dose of retail therapy, even if what I'm buying isn't for me. Kevin said yesterday that giving me money is like giving an Indian whiskey. Not very "pc" (sorry Native Americans, for many reasons) but sorta funny. Yes, I like to shop. But I am a careful shopper and try to buy things very thoughtfully.

Part of my thoughtful shopping is avoiding, if possible, things made in China. This is for so many reasons and I come up with new ones all the time. The more I am mindful of it while shopping, the more irritated and determined I become to "STOP THE INSANITY!" Everything is made there and it really freaks me out. Not only is the integrity of products made there questionable, it is irresponsible- ecologically and economically- to buy them. Not to mention the corrupt government there and deplorable conditions the workers are subjected to. It is so out of control and everyone seems to be in a blissful state of ignorance when it comes to this (and other things.) What happens if China gets pissed at us? What would happen if they decided to stop sending things our way? We would be in big trouble...make that screwed. There are so many things wrong with buying goods made in China that it should be against the law, but that would make us a bit like them wouldn't it? Their goal exactly.

Yesterday as I was shopping I saw two items that made me think. One was a yoga outfit that claimed to be a "green" clothing line and listed several things that made them "eco-friendly", but there, hidden on a tag on the side of the shirt were the words "Made in China". Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is nothing "eco-friendly" about shipping an outfit 7000 miles when it could be made just as easily locally, or at least within say 3000 miles. The other thing I saw was a bag made out of recycled plastic bottles. What a great concept, but why couldn't we make that here? I am just so puzzled by this, but we can just add this to the list of things that make me feel as though I really live in Bizarro world.
Something that really just bothers me is some wrapping paper that I was looking at, also from CHINA. What a shame, shipping something so far away that will end up in our LANDFILLS! Why would that make sense to even one person?

I was actually excited yesterday when I found wrapping paper at Target- Made in USA. Thank you Baby Jesus! (Sorry, I just watched Talladega Nights.) Also, I found a pretty Christmas platter for Santa's cookies, made in Colombia- not great but hey, at least it's not cocaine! Seriously though, I think it's important to pay attention to where your money goes. Which is why, from this day forward, I will try my absolute hardest not to buy things made in China, or overseas for that matter. I will exhaust every possiblity before giving in to that which is bigger than me. If I have to buy something made in China, I will buy it used. It may prove to be a bigger task than i bargained for, but that is a promise. May God Bless America. Please. We need all the help we can get!

2 comments:

  1. Ashley,

    You may be interested in the book, A Year Without "Made in China": One Family's True Life Adventure in the Global Economy

    I heard the author on NPR one day, http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12056295

    Also, here is the Amazon link.

    http://www.amazon.com/Year-Without-Made-China-Adventure/dp/0470116137

    ReplyDelete
  2. Namastee!
    just last june all over china, the government imposed a law to ban plastic bag. so all of us will bring our own cloth bag and basket if we go to buy things/groceries in the supermarket.
    i'm not blaming you for boycotting china products, many americans do. rite?
    actually the government tried also on this eco-friendly issue.

    ReplyDelete