Finley's first Christmas was lovely! He got lots of stuff, but it's ok since we had been long overdue for new toys. There are more on the way since my dad is a procrastinator (like me.) Kevin gave me a sewing machine that I have no idea how to use, and a bread making machine, which is pretty awesome though I haven't figured out how to make wheat bread as great as white turns out. As soon as I learn how to sew something I will officially be Suzy Homemaker. I gave Kevin a GPS, which he LOVED. My mom came to stay with us a few days before Christmas. On Christmas Eve we went to the children's service at Unity Church, then came home and I baked a chocolate pie, an eggnog cheese pie, and some Christmas cookies for Santa. Christmas morning, I made a pecan pie, started the turkey, then we opened presents. After presents, I rushed to make stuffing, green beans, corn casserole, mashed potatoes and jalapeno-orange cranberry sauce. We took all the food to my grandparent's house and had dinner there.
Finley has reached all sorts of milestones since I wrote last...
He finally learned to actually crawl. For months he has been belly scooting, pulling with arms and pushing with feet. Of course he showed off his new skills when I wasn't home, Kevin was first to witness. Now he usually crawls but when he's excited and in a hurry he still does the "Finley Phelps" swim crawl.
He cut his first tooth- front bottom.
He had his first teething biscuit and loved it. He was like, why haven't you given me this before, this is soooo great! He had this elated smile on his face the whole time he was chewing on it. But what a mess! And it's so scary, you have to sit right there with him because when they get soft enough they break off and it's too big of a piece to be in his mouth.
He has been eating all kinds of new things. He really loves acorn squash. He is moving past simple purees and is accepting of more texture in his food. Like this morning he ate some steel cut oatmeal with blueberries. Then for lunch he had quinoa and sweet potatoes. It is really fun to make food for him and see his reaction to new things. He is always eager to begin a meal, excited to taste what's in his little bowl. And speaking of his bowl- I can't get over how cute these bowls I got him are. I got them from etsy.com. I think the site was Bluebird Fine Art.
Also, we had our first trip to the zoo! We went with Cassandra, Astrid, and Jolie! We saw monkeys, a tiger, a giraffe, and flamingos. No elephants, which is what we (I) were excited about. They were doing construction on the elephant's home. Maybe next time!
My little baby is getting so big. He looks so much older these days, like in this picture, he is a BOY! They grow so fast!
Well, I think 2009 will be a great year. I don't really have resolutions, but there are some things I would like to accomplish this year. One- being able to fit into all of my pre-pregnancy clothes. I just realized I haven't done any serious cardiovascular exercise since I was about 5 months pregnant. That is ridiculous! I am joining the White Rock Athletic Club this week!
And two- finish my darn Associates Degree so I can move to "big girl" college and figure out what to "do" with my life.
And three- I will make sure that Kevin gets home to see his family this year. He hasn't been home to Scotland in 8 years. With or without me and Finley, somehow, someway,, he will get to see his family.


I love you! Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteDear Finley, Ashley and Kevin,
ReplyDelete* HAPPY NEW YEAR!
wish all your wish-list could be realized this year!
* sewing is not so difficult. get an actual sample, try to draw the patron. cut (of course add space for sewing), then sew. you can start from simple one, like sewing a curtain. a table cloth.
* i dont have baking machine till now. anyway, i wont have time to bake.. 'til the kids grow bigger and go to school. Haha!
* wish you all can go to Scotland this year. it must be a wonderful trip!
* the bowls are so cute!
* congrats to Finley for all his achieved milestones! soon, when he walks, oh-ho.. there will be so many things to watch out. and we have to make sure our homes are child-proof. =) 2 days ago, my 2nd girl broke 4 small-bottles of glucose liquid for my husband's grandma. and played with it. lucky the glass didnt tear her fingers at all!!! (didnt know who put it within her reach). i was not at home, her grandma was busy on cleaning job. the other time, she broke 4 eggs
Wow what a big guy you have now.We are dying to see and play with you! Hopefully we can get together soon.
ReplyDeleteWe can also schedule a sewing lesson if you want. I've been sewing for about 10 years now and can give you the basics anytime.
Happy 2009!!!
Kam andV in
Thanks for the comments ladies!
ReplyDeleteJen- love you too!
Jenni (yendoel)- *Thank you, you too! *thank you- I'm going to start with pillows for my couch, *bread machine is quick- all you do is add ingredients to pan and close the lid, it mixes and cooks everything for you! SO EASY! *thanks for wishes, *aren't they the cutest! *Thannk you again; Broken eggs, what a mess!
Kam- I'm totally taking you up on your offer!