Friday, January 9, 2009

Poop.

Finley has been eating like a little monster! I didn't see how such a little guy could eat so much. Lately he's been gobbling up oatmeal, blueberries, apples, pears, sweet potatoes, acorn and butternut squash, peas, green beans, carrots, quinoa, brown rice, lentils, and yogurt. That is about all I feed him right now. Though the other day (I wasn't home) Kevin left his bowl of Wheatabix on the table and left the room for a moment and when he came back Finley was feeding himself cereal. How cute is that? Cute, but not so much since I don't want him drinking milk and Wheatabix has sugar (not much but still!) And this morning as I was eating my waffles, he was licking his lips, mouth watering. I had to give him a nibble. Don't worry, it was a Van's multi-grain slathered in coconut oil and agave nectar.

But all this food and no poops. He's just not a very poopie kind of guy. Normally, maybe twice a week or so. But with all this food it seems like he should be going more. Anyways, I started to get concerned so I only gave him breastmilk all day until this evening I fed him prunes. One hour later I saw him making The Face. It seemed to be a bit of a struggle, then he started to cry. I picked him up and checked his diaper- only a ping pong size ball. Poor guy, no wonder he was crying. I thought SURELY there must be more coming. I put him in the bathtub to relax him. After one minute he looked at me as if to say, "Help!" I picked him out of the water and put him on the toilet. He put his arms around my neck and pooped in the toilet! Yes-sir-ee! I guess that is what you call Elimination Communication? I hope we can keep this up- the toilet poops, not the constipation.

3 comments:

  1. Finley .. constipation? is it very often? maybe you could let him drink some honey for baby. he is almost 1 yr old, right? i think it's ok to let him drink some. my 2nd daughter, also drank a bit honey before reaching her first bday. let me think .. let him eat some banana. heat a while (few seconds) the microwave would be fine. let him drink more water also. i think it could help. ever try papaya? but dont over feed him, worry he could get diarrhea if having too much. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's 9 months old, is that close enough? I can't give him bananas or papaya because I'm allergic and I worry that he may be too. I want him to be able to tell me if his throat starts to close up like mine does. He has just started having this, maybe once he adjusts to eating more he will be ok. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie when 1-2 months old, often poop in 7 days or so. i did gave her honey mix with water. around 9 months old also ever gave her some honey+water. i think it's ok to give some. or you can ask doctor.

    ReplyDelete