Thursday, October 30, 2008

Broccoli Cheddar Quiche


Ok, so I made quiche today, I love quiche. Today, somehow I made it extra delicious. I ate half of it already. I semi-followed a recipe that I always use. It is from 1000 Vegetarian Recipes by Carol Gelles.

Pastry
1C Flour ( I used brown rice flour)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 stick butter
3TBS ice water

Mix flour and salt, cut in butter with pastry cutter or 2 knives, until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Pour 1 TBS water over section of dough, work in with fork, repeat. When dough sticks together, form into greased pie dish. Bake at 350 for 12 mins.

Quiche
3 eggs
3/4 C half and half
1/4 C milk
1 tsp worcestershire
1/2 C cheddar cheese
1/2 C mozzarella
1 1/2 C broccoli

Mix eggs, milk and worcestershire. Salt and pepper to taste.
Sprinkle cheese on bottom of crust, add broccoli.
Pour egg mixture evenly over broccoli and cheese.

Bake 50 or 60 minutes until puffy and browned on top. 350 degrees.

I think I enjoyed this quiche more since it wasn't as moist (runny) as normal- I used 1/2 milk less than the recipe calls for. Also, combining mozzarella and cheddar was a nice change- glad I was out of cheddar. The original recipe calls for scallions but I didn't have any.

Also, the original crust recipe uses more butter and a combination of white and wheat flour, not brown rice. I thought the crust was the best part. It was crumbly, almost the texture of cornbread. I can see how some would prefer the traditional flaky pastry crust but I thought this was a great substitute. I took more pictures but Kevin erased them before I could upload them, grrrrrrrr!

1 comment:

  1. ok, I wasn't even hungry. thanks, ashley.

    wanna hang next week?

    -lourdes

    ReplyDelete