Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Cold and Cake (more cake!)


I have been meaning to post all week but haven't been able to find the time. We have had a cold. Finley's first- all because I left the window open in the bedroom. I know that's what it was, we hadn't gone out much the few days prior. So Friday night he had the sniffles. I thought he had a runny nose from teething. Then Saturday night he had a fever, which I thought was teething as well. But Sunday night I got a sore throat, and then I began to wonder. Sure enough the next day I felt like I had been hit by a truck. Headache, eyes watering, snot flowing out my nose, sore throat. I pumped myself full of chamomile tea, apple cider vinegar and honey, emergen-c, wheatgrass, probiotics, and Grapefruit Seed Extract in my Acai drink. Then before bed I took a bath in Sea Salts with Tea Tree, Lavender, and Clary Sage. Yesterday I felt just fine, almost like I was never sick. What an amazing difference! Such a difference that I acted like I han't been sick just a day before. I wasn't so careful with the supplements and I had 2 desserts! So toay I felt less than stellar. I woke up at 8:30 with Finley then went back to sleep with him at 10:30 until 2. Even after I woke up I felt groggy andf my nose has been stuffed with the thick snot. Sorry, TMI. Anyway, Finley doesn't seem to feel as bad as I did but poor guy! He's been a real trooper!

Sunday was Uncle Ryan's 19th birthday. He came over with Mom and Dad and we grilled out. They had to go to the store to get the food because Finley wasn't feeling great. I have become such a food snob. They went to Kroger and I was totally aware and uncomfortable of the food, worried that the animals had been mistreated and fed nasty foods and slaughtered inhumanely. And I was concerned that the salad wasn't organic and the dressing had MSG in it. When did I become so obsessed? I still ate it though. I made Ryan a cake. It was pretty good but I only had a bit. I'm trying to control myself.

The recipe says to make it in 3 pans- 8in or 9in rounds, but the girl that made these before me used a bundt pan and I think her's turned out better. I cooked mine like 3 mins too long though so maybe this way is just fine.


This is Paula Deen's Sweet Baby Jack Carrot Cake from foodnetwork.com
There's nothing healthy about it!

Ingredients

For the cake:

* 2 cups self-rising flour
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 2 cups granulated sugar
* 2 (4-ounce) jars strained carrot baby food
* 4 eggs
* 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil


For the frosting:

* 1/2 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
* 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
* 1 (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 3 (8 or 9-inch) cake pans.
For the cake:

Mix together the flour, cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and blend well with a handheld electric mixer for about 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Invert onto lint-free dishcloth, or waxed paper, and allow to cool completely.
For the frosting:

Mix all ingredients with handheld electric mixer and blend until smooth and creamy.

Frost layers, top, and sides of cooled cake.

















Finley got a high chair this week. He doesn't sit in it a lot yet but he's enjoyed playing in the box! He's enjoyed pears this week. He doesn't eat much but he is more excite about them than sweet potatoes.





No comments:

Post a Comment