Thursday, August 12, 2010

What we're reading!

Finley just loves books!  We read books before nap and bedtime and also at random times throughout the day.  He has even started to "read" the books himself, he will repeat lines that he remembers from the book. If he's not sure exactly what it says, he will talk about the pictures, or sometimes just jibber jabber nonsense.   I think the quality of books is important.  I don't want him reading a bunch of mainstream media character books- although he does love Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree but that's okay because it teaches the lesson of sharing.

Speaking of sharing- I want to share some of the books we're loving right now.  For one, because you might like them too, but also, since this blog is somewhat of a family journal, I want to be sure I remember his favorites when he is all grown.  I've included links for easy locating of books- but this is also a shameless way of trying to earn a buck! 

Peter in Blueberry Land is a simple tale of a boy who goes to pick berries for his mother and ends up getting help from little forest people.  Finley LOVES this book, we read it several times a day.

This is a cute book about Farmer Brown giving his animals a special treat in honor of his birthday.  In turn, his animals show their appreciation by doing something nice for him.  This is a major hit!



I like this book because it adds cute rhymes about farming to Van Gogh's famous paintings.  Finley calls it the Flower book.  Art appreciation for toddlers!

This is a beautifully illustrated book to help learn counting.  The pictures are from 16 different fairy tales and are really something to spend time studying!



 And finally, Grandfather Twilight is a lovely book to read just before bed.  It is a (very) short story with ethereal illustrations about a man who takes a walk every night before bed and gives a pearl to "the silence above the sea."  In other words, he puts the moon in the sky.  Three of the pages are wordless to it's fun to use imagination.

 These are the books we read more than once a day right now.  There are others, but these are our favorites!  What are your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment