Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Baby Name Issues!

We are having a bit of a time thinking of a name for our new sprog. We want a name that sounds nice (obviously,) comes from Scottish/Gaelic heritage and has a nice meaning. For example, we looked at the name Campbell but it means "crooked mouth" and Wallace (after William Wallace) means "stranger or foreigner." I don't like those meanings. We have for some reason been stuck on C names. Cailean, Callum, and Cullen have been options. Cailean (pronounced Kay-lin) means "child" which is sweet but is that setting him up for a lifetime of immaturity? Plus some have said it sounds too feminine. Callum means "dove" which is lovely but I'm not overly in love with the name. And Cullen-now here is a story.

Cullen is a town in Scotland in the county Moray, where we dream of moving to. We saw a program about it and decided we liked the name and it was perfect! Then I found this article about how many spaces the name Cullen jumped in 2009 in the social security top 1000. Due to the name Cullen being a character's last name in the "Twilight" series, morons have started to name their kids that. Apparently there were only 555 boys named that in 2009 but I can't take the chance that 5000 people will name their baby that in 2010 and then have people assume I am a "Twilight" freak who named my kid after a fictional vampire. So, sadly, Cullen was canceled out.

Then last night we were flipping through the channels and one of the late night programs had a guest named Kellan on the show. I stopped at that channel because I thought Kellan was a nice name. I didn't recognize the actor Kellan Lutz so I ran to the computer to see who he was and what his name meant. I checked the name meaning first- either "slender" or "descendant of the bright headed one." I thought- hmmm, not bad. So then I wanted to find out who this dude was- and was floored to discover that he plays the character Emmett Cullen from "Twilight!" WHAT?

I think that is just too weird. And I am still thoroughly confused about what to name this child!

4 comments:

  1. So "twilight" readers are morons and there's a possibility of non-fictional vampires? We're really frustrated about this too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats Ashley!
    OMG.. so Kellan is Cullen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sad but true fact... I just started reading Twilight today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw all yall's comments! Yes- Kellan is Cullen! And Lourdes...LOL! Kam- why?! j/k.

    ReplyDelete