Monday, September 27, 2010

Caelan is here!

I had a feeling...

Kevin woke me up Saturday morning at 8:30 am with breakfast in bed. While I was thrilled to be served breakfast, I was a bit annoyed because it was the perfect sleeping in day with the rain. I thought to myself- bummer, this was the last day I get to sleep in. Then I thought- hmmm, where did that idea come from?

So through the day, I did things out of the ordinary. I made a freezer inventory, mopped my kitchen floor (that NEVER happens!) and I urgently finished up a couple of thank you notes. We totally needed to go to the grocery store but I totally didn't want to go without a list, and that was going to take too much time and effort. We decided to get Chinese take-out instead of a trip to the store. I said to Kevin, "What if I go into labor tonight, we have no food!" He said, "Oh, it will be fine, we can send 'someone'."

Well, a few hours later, around 8:30 I started to feel back pain and some contractions. They were about ten minutes apart. I decided to take a bath to see if I could get them to stop. They didn't. When I got out, they continued. I called my friend Gretchen because I still wasn't sure whether this was real or not and I wasn't ready to bother the midwife yet. Gretchen was there for Finley's birth and was my lifesaver! She's had midwifery training and is finishing nursing school so she's very knowledgeable- on top of the fact that she's had 2 home births herself. She told me to have a small glass of wine to see if that helped. I had about half a glass and the contractions continued, in fact they went from about 10 mins apart to 5 mins apart pretty quickly after. So I called my midwife and let her know what was going on. Then I asked Gretchen to come on over. Everyone arrived at the same time, close to 1 am. The contractions were getting intense so I got back in my bath- what a difference! I labored there for about 2 hours. I threw up a few times and then the bath felt too hot so I got out. I had a few contractions "on land" and decided it was SO much better in the water so I got in the birthing tub they had prepared. A few contractions later I began to feel pressure on my bum during contractions- I knew he was almost ready. They listened to his heartbeat during contractions and it was scary low. They tried letting me change positions in the water but that didn't help. They had me get out of the water. I'm telling you- the difference in contractions in the water and out is astounding! I tried to relax by nursing Finley (who was awake and present for the whole thing.) I kept begging to get back in the pool because the contractions were nearly impossible to relax through but they said no.  After a few more contractions with low heart tones, the serious urgency to get him out began. My midwife manually dilated me (!!! I don't wish that on anyone!!!) and broke my water . Then basically, they had me lie on my back, gave me an episiotomy, pushed my legs back as far as they could go, and told me to push. I pushed with all my might a good 5 times and Caelan was born- at 4:26 am.  He was very blue- Apgar score was a 5.  I did not know this at the time but the cord was around his neck, but not too tight.  It was a scary minute or so but he pinked up with the help of some oxygen and was nursing within 5 minutes. It was like deja-vou because the EXACT same thing happened at Finley's birth except Finley was in better shape when he came out.



This is Finley putting on my birth power necklace, made for me by Tina with beads from my friends at my Blessingway (which I have yet to blog about- shame on me!)


Concentrating on a contraction
After the contraction

In the birth tub where I wish he was born
Nursing Finley between contractions- right before Caelan was born
This was immediately after the birth, I'll spare you the graphic pics- there are a few!  He latched immediately- amazing! 


Checking Caelan's heartbeats.
Hello baby brother!


He looks just like Finley did!


It was the sweetest thing ever!  Yes, I cried when Finley said- "Hello baby!  Do you want to go in the rocking chair?"  And gave him soft  kisses!
The weigh in- a tiny 6lbs 2 oz!


Goddess Gretchen- so lucky to have had her there!  A very special friend!

Oh can I tell you how adorable this was!



Proud papa! 
Family picture- self portrait.  We were in Finley's room since our sheets got dirty.

He's a very quiet baby, he's only cried twice, once when I dribbled cold water on him accidentally and once with a meconium explosion diaper.  He sounds like a mouse when he wants to nurse.  He's so amazing!  

Welcome to the world sweet baby boy!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats mama! What an amazing post! Thanks for all the details! He's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!!! I'm so happy for y'all and he is adorable!! We hope to come up for a visit in mid-October. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, He is perfect. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! Good work, Mama!! Welcome to the world, Caelan!!

    ReplyDelete