Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What NOT to give a little girl.


Sunday was our friend Astrid's birthday party. She just turned 2. Being on a tight budget lately, I was worried about spending money on a gift. But then I remembered that I had some extra toys that my dad gave Finley for Christmas. Finley already had these toys and I was going to exchange them. I am a total procrastinator and haven't gotten around to that yet. SO I decided to give her this HABA stacking toy. The box says it's appropriate for a 1.5 -3 year old, perfect (or so I thought.) Well at the party, every single thing she opened was something "girly." A princess costume, a tea party set, stuff like that. I got a little nervous but thought maybe it would be ok. Not so much. Um, when she opened my gift, she started to cry. Her dad opened the box to show her how neat it was. She threw one of the blocks and ran away. She had to be convinced to come back and open more. I had no idea that she'd hate it that much. It was a bit embarrassing, like, I should have known. I felt like an idiot. My gift made a little girl CRY. Sorry Astrid, but now I know. Gender specific preferences start younger than I ever imagined!

3 comments:

  1. That's hilarious! I sent her a book called 'Superhero ABC' It's one of our faves and I thought J may be getting tired of reading princess stories. No word as to whether or not it, too made her cry.

    Don't feel bad, she may love it later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, agree..she may love it later. also i don't see anything wrong to give her such toy. i myself don't want my girl to be too girly. i bought her books, map for kid, etc. i avoid "princess stuffs" for my girls. hahaha...! my girls also play "ultraman".. bcoz it's her cousin's toy, they play along together. and she is very happy to find an 'ultraman' pic on her shoes (which means same as her cousin) ..lol!
    but anyway, she likes the stories like snow white, cinderella, but also she likes "fox and a crow", "wolf and rabbit" .. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update: Cassandra said that both Astrid and Jolie love the toy. But she could just be being nice, hmmm.

    ReplyDelete