Sunday, February 1, 2009

Beverly Nan Holland Tanner



Tanner, Beverly Nann Passed away February 1, 2009 at Presbyterian Hospital Plano. She was born in Denton, Texas, August 4, 1931. She was a fashion model, interior designer and a Texas real estate broker for over 50 years. She served in executive positions at several companies primarily in the electronics, computer, business machine and publishing industries. In 1979 she held an exposition in Dallas, the International Micro-Computer Exposition, which was, at the time, the largest of its kind, ever held. She was ranked in numerous categories, by her family, as the best in the world, including best wife, best mom, best Mimi and best all around person. She was preceded in death by her mother Wilma, her father Thurmond, and her grandson Trey. She is survived by her husband of 58 years, Paul, her son Alex, daughter-in-law Brenda, two grandchildren, Ashley and Ryan, one great grandchild, Finley Brown, sister Roibeth Terry, brother-in-law Dave Terry, sisters-in-law, Elizabeth Tanner and Frances Tanner, and numerous nieces, nephews, cousins, and friends. Memorial service will be at 3:30PM Thursday February 5, 2009 at Restland Wildwood Chapel.


My Mimi was what you could call The Ultimate Texas Diva. She had firey red hair that was always worn "Big Texas style." She always had perfectly manicured nails with matching lipstick, huge earrings, huge purse filled to the brim, high heels, and typically a lovely necklace or pin on her dress. She always wore shoulder pads and hose, even if she was just in a t-shirt (rare.) When I was younger, I was confused as to why she was called my "grandmother" when she didn't have curly gray hair, didn't wear SAS shoes, and didn't "look" like a grandma. I would ask her if she could be a little less "flashy." I had no idea how fabulous she was!

Mimi was a meticulous house keeper. She always picked up tiny pieces on the carpet, constantly wiped her sink shiny and clean, and had the softest, fluffiest bath towels I have ever experienced. She was always cleaning out her closet, fridge or pantry. She always had a fully stocked kitchen, ready to make virtually anything at any time. She made the best fried chicken I have ever had.

She never met a stranger. Mimi would strike conversation up with any willing listener and would have them hee-hawing in no time. She called it "cuttin up." From the girls at the salon to the customer service rep on the phone, she really knew how to charm. She had such a contagious energy, her personality was very enthusiastic. Her smile would light up the room, she always a big grin from ear to ear. She always had a funny, dramatic story to tell.

She had a way of making sure we always had fun. She loved to dress up in costumes. Once she got an Easter Bunny costume and took me Easter egg hunting. I think I may be the only kid in the world who has had their own personal Easter Bunny escort. Once she got a Pink Panther costume and followed her brother in law around all day on his birthday. And often she dressed as a clown. Mimi also possessed magic skills. She had a magic closet that looked like an ordinary coat and umbrella closet, but when we would come visit, she would magically pull out a little gift for us. She would always "ride my shoulder" whenever I had a big test or something that I was nervous about. Whenever she wanted something to happen she would put her thumb together with her pointer and middle finger, instead of crossing her fingers.

As friendly and lovable as was, she could also be very pugnacious. She wasn't afraid to let someone know when they had offended her. She was a Leo after all. She was quick with the tongue, and many times the finger! Once, after a surgery, her doctor came in to check on her. She didn't quite have the strength to speak yet but when she saw the doctor- the guilty party that put her in so much pain- she simply lifted her middle finger. She certainly didn't hold back when someone deserved to be put in their place. In fact, she was proud to be called a bitch! However, her grandchildren were the exception. In her eyes, we could do no wrong. When I blew out her vanilla scented candles with extra force to watch the wax spray everywhere, she would just laugh. When I would break all of her cigarettes in half because I didn't want her to smoke, she'd just say, "You little monkey!"

She loved with her whole heart, and made sure that her loved ones knew exactly how much she loved them. It was common for me to get voice mail messages from her singing, "I just called, to say, I love you," or "I love you, a bushel and a peck, a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck."

Though not a regular church attendee, she had a special relationship with God and talked to Him often. She believed in the afterlife, and that loved ones who have passed send messages to those still here. When her mother died, Mimi let go of a bunch of pink balloons at her grave. She said as they floated to the sky, they moved together to form a heart shape. After my brother died, she would sit and have conversations with him in the morning while she "fixed her face." She really believed he could hear her. She always promised me that even after she was gone, she would always sit on my shoulder. I have no doubt about that. Last night, as I was in my closet changing my clothes, 3 purses that I had hanging on a hanger fell to the ground. I was puzzled as to how that happened, I hadn't even been over there and the purse handles were wrapped around the neck of a hanger. I immediately thought, "Mimi?" Then I thought, don't be silly. I went into my kitchen to start dinner. I have a little snow globe music box on my kitchen counter that plays, the tune "We're off to see The Wizard, The wonderful Wizard of Oz." The Wizard of Oz is my absolute favorite movie and Mimi and I have watched it together hundreds of times. All of the sudden, my snow globe music box started playing without me turning the key. Then I knew for sure. I smiled through tears and said, "I love you Mimi."

3 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful post, it brought tears to my eyes. I wish I could have spent more time with her, she sounds like a neat lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ashely, I have tears streaming down my face. She sounds wonderful and I'm so glad that Finely had the opportunity to spend some time with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's your luck to have such a great grandma! so touching story!

    ReplyDelete