
Well, I had my second interview at Whole Foods today. Let me fill you in since I'm not great at blogging yet. I applied some time ago and they finally called me about another position but said they had a position as Body Care Specialist that my qualifications were a good match for. Basically the position is working on the floor helping customers as needed, keeping inventory, and placing orders for the products. The perks are I'd get free samples-always fun- and much needed health insurance. Oh, and the 20% grocery discount doesn't hurt either. On one hand I am super excited to be offered a position, think it will propel me forward in life, and will allow me some financial flexibility. But on the other, I would have to leave this sweet face for 30+ hours a week. That breaks my heart. Babies need their mommies.
So I've been trying to stockpile milk, pumping at every opportunity. I am left with swollen, red, painful nipples. Almost as miserable as beginning to breastfeed. I don't know if I need a bigger "thing" to pump with or if I will just have to get past it. But I can only get a few ounces at a time, not enough to sustain him as a regular feeding. It takes 2 pumping sessions to get what he "should" be satisfied by in one feeding. It is so frustrating.
It's getting close to the time to think about solid foods. He will be 6 months old in one week. I almost bought some brown rice cereal the other day but I decided to wait. I'm not going to rush the solids. I'm not sure I will even give him cereal at all actually, but the box is so tempting. It's like buying those tiny shoes that they never wear. I want to buy the cute little first step cereal but in reality I think I may just puree a sweet potato or a pear. But for now he seems perfectly satisfied with breastmilk alone and he just doesn't seem that interested in food yet. Plus he can't sit up on his own for more than a few seconds without slowly falling to the side, like a tree in the woods- "timber!" It's cute- he catches himself on his elbow.
On a sadder note, my grandparent's house burned down. Like, completely gone.
The story does make it sound "fishy" as one person commented. What happened was, about 3 months ago, a fire started in their garage when my grandfather was trying to repair my lawnmower. Somehow he spilled some paint thinner in the process and before he could clean it up, my grandmother's nurse arrived and he went to help the nurse convince my grandmother to take a shower. Well, paint thinner + summer heat + 2 hot water heaters = fire. Not a huge fire, but big enough to melt everything in the garage, including the freezer that our placenta was in :(
So, with the smoke and water damage they pretty much gutted the house and were in the process of rebuilding it. Then fire #2 came and destroyed the entire house- down to the ground. The only explanation that was offered was perhaps the plumber caused it- when welding copper pipes, the pipes got too hot....? Anyways, I'm pretty sad. They have lived there 25 years. We spent every holiday there. I took comfort in thinking that after my grandparents pass I would still be able to feel close to them in their home. Now there's nothing.

And when my grandmother, who has Alzheimer's, asks to go home, instead of reminding her that she already is at home, now we have to remind her that she has no home. They're living in a hotel- at 78 years old. It's weird- my grandmother grew up in a hotel. I just remembered that. I hope she doesn't die soon.

And when my grandmother, who has Alzheimer's, asks to go home, instead of reminding her that she already is at home, now we have to remind her that she has no home. They're living in a hotel- at 78 years old. It's weird- my grandmother grew up in a hotel. I just remembered that. I hope she doesn't die soon.


No comments:
Post a Comment